A TECHNIQUE DRIVEN Blog dedicated to mastery of surface design techniques. First we dye, overdye, paint, stitch, resist, tie, fold, silk screen, stamp, thermofax, batik, bejewel, stretch, shrink, sprinkle, Smooch, fuse, slice, dice, AND then we set it on fire using a variety of heat tools.

Wednesday, July 27, 2016

And the thread?

Here is the shirt after another week of work.I have really been pushing myself so I can show you something closer to finished.  Now that my hands and arms are getting stiff we'll just see how much more I get done before the end of the month.  Someone once asked me how long finishing one of these garments takes.  The best answer I can find so far is "A long time."  While this one is coming along I still need to start the skirt.


I have used a variety of thread in the garment.  Different colors and thicknesses and content of thread can all be used, again depending on what you want to emphasize or be more subtle.  I can't even say which I like best but here are a few I have used.



Colors:  The color for each piece will vary depending on my vision for the finished item.  I have some lovely lace I wanted to use to hold the cotton shirt together so I have used black thread primarily.  I have also used purple because it is dark but I have used it sparingly.  And, as always, I have used a variety of neutrals.  I generally use the neutrals in the more simple and quicker to make stitches since the stitches will generally only be seen upon close examination.



Type of Thread:  For this garment I have used cotton, silk, and wool thread.  All work better if you use some bees' wax on them first.  Silk is a bit hard to use but looks lovely with the silk shine. I have used it mostly for the buttonhole stitches around the lace.  I love the hairiness of the wool thread.  Cotton is the staple.


Thickness:  Again, I wish I could give you one answer but I use one, two, three, or all six embroidery threads depending on how thick of a line that I want.  I also use crochet thread and much heavier threads (see the yellow thread in the picture).  So far I have not used yarn but I do want to try it on a future garment.


2 comments:

  1. Wow! The top pic looks like a painting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really intrigued by this...and really like that sheer insert on one shoulder. It gives the piece sturdiness...it connects the fabric, yes, but it also connects with me as a viewer, generating a feeling of poignancy. Sorry; not articulating that well!

    ReplyDelete

Although this blog is no longer active, we will get your comments so please feel free to share them.