A TECHNIQUE DRIVEN Blog dedicated to mastery of surface design techniques. First we dye, overdye, paint, stitch, resist, tie, fold, silk screen, stamp, thermofax, batik, bejewel, stretch, shrink, sprinkle, Smooch, fuse, slice, dice, AND then we set it on fire using a variety of heat tools.

Friday, July 11, 2014

Two for the road

Keeping up with the movie themes, here is piece number two. I started with this truly homely brown shibori experimental fat quarter. I couldn't imagine (really) anything that would improve the appearance of it. After dinner I stuck it in a small plastic dish with some dye and left it over night.



Even I was shocked. The brown and boysenberry are just amazing together. If I had planned this it couldn't have come out more beautiful.


This is one of my favorite stamps with Jacquard's Halo Pink Gold fabric paint


I made a stamp identical to this years ago and it "disappeared" during a workshop. I loved it so much that I made another. Image cut from foam core board mounted with rubber cement onto another piece of foam core board.


I tried a small rubber stamp spiral but it was too small and pressing the stamp into the fabric made it absorb into the fabric. I had a stencil of a spiral but couldn't find it so I cut another from a stiff plastic self adhesive Avery Note Tab


This was Pebo Seta-Color Glimmer Canary paint applied with a sponge dauber (Walmart)




Could I do more? Probably, but I love this outcome so I am going to stop here.


I love the crackly look of the Halo Pink Gold leaf.

5 comments:

  1. Love the stamp! I have not tried making one of foam board and mounting it... very clever! And I love the combination of colors and patterns you have on this piece... lots of great contrasts and visual interest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow- the boysenberry and the brown look fabulous together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've inspired me to over-dye some of my less than lovely shibori.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your fabric. Overdyeing is one of the best things for that fabric that just didn't turn out the way you wanted it to. I've never seen those note pad things, have to check out Staples this week.

    ReplyDelete

Although this blog is no longer active, we will get your comments so please feel free to share them.