A TECHNIQUE DRIVEN Blog dedicated to mastery of surface design techniques. First we dye, overdye, paint, stitch, resist, tie, fold, silk screen, stamp, thermofax, batik, bejewel, stretch, shrink, sprinkle, Smooch, fuse, slice, dice, AND then we set it on fire using a variety of heat tools.

Friday, April 18, 2014

Shadow Printing

Lynda here again. I was introduced to shadow printing in Lynn Krawczyk's new book, Intentional Printing. She explains that shadow printing is a great teacher for those of us who are learning to layer images. This technique creates sort of an ombre effect.

Start with a piece of fabric - I started with this white on white that already had a pattern on it.


Print over the complete piece.



Then go back and print again, but not on the top third of the fabric.



Then print again over the bottom third until you are happy with it.



I found this process really freeing. There is something about over printing - not worrying about smudges.  I really liked that piece, but I thought I'd try it with some paint cloths that have been waiting in the wings for me to play with.



This time I got out my whip with blue screen printing ink.


 However when I was finished I didn't think the blue had enough contrast so I added red.




Let's try the other paint cloth.

With this one I added white screen printing ink with one of my "new" potato mashers.


And a closeup






That was so much fun! I really like the look. I'll definitely be playing with this technique in future projects. What about you? Have you tried this?

See you next Friday with a technique from Fabric Surface Design by Cheryl Rezendes.

6 comments:

  1. What fun - I love this technique!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These pieces look great (my favourite is the potato masher) and the technique looks to easy too, I'm going to have to give it at try! Thank you for sharing Lynda

    ReplyDelete
  3. The layering on these is amazing and quite fun! thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun thing to get a quick creative "pick me up"!! And such great results! This one is on my list for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. And now a solution for failed snow dyeing attempts! I will have to try this.
    Sandy in the UK

    ReplyDelete

Although this blog is no longer active, we will get your comments so please feel free to share them.