A TECHNIQUE DRIVEN Blog dedicated to mastery of surface design techniques. First we dye, overdye, paint, stitch, resist, tie, fold, silk screen, stamp, thermofax, batik, bejewel, stretch, shrink, sprinkle, Smooch, fuse, slice, dice, AND then we set it on fire using a variety of heat tools.

Thursday, June 6, 2013

Welcome to ...ta da...THE GRAND PLAN

Now I have some background and texture going, I am ready to work on more of a focal point for the finished prints.  Here is my plan.

The Grand Plan (and a ton of links):   
First--my inspiration for my art style is Deidre Adams.
I checked out Elizabeth Barton's post about Quilt National.  In the post is a picture of a fabulous quilt created by Deidre Adams.  Elizabeth shared a really nice detail shot of the quilt and Deidre has more on her blog.  I checked out other fiber work by Adams on her website.  They are created with acrylic paint on fabric and stitch making them perfect for a gelli plate experiment.  Her fiber pieces very much remind me of the abstract expressism paintings by Mark Rothko.  My last print series was influenced by his work.  My only gelli plate experiments  are also inspired by Mark Rothko but were done on paper and not fiber. Now, you may  not care for this style but I love it and want to create fabric and finished art pieces that are clearly influenced by it. That's my BIG goal.  Lots of steps between here and there.

Second--my inspiration for content is Friedrich Nietzsche who said:
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.  If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened.  But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

This is what I hope to achieve in my prints: 
  1. Abstract compositions with planes of colors
  2. Strong horizon lines
  3. Complex layering achieved through texture and color
  4. A symbolic representation of "an individual" in each.
  5. The design/composition finished (or resolved) by printing or by stitch.
After an evening of p rinting I ended up with 2 fabric prints that I think are close to being finished. That is really not a bad ratio.   As soon as I find my camera cord to download them, I will post my results and talk more about the process I used.

1 comment:

  1. Great that you are so concrete with your goals. I try to be well thought out with my overall goals, too. The details appear by themselves.

    ReplyDelete

Although this blog is no longer active, we will get your comments so please feel free to share them.