A TECHNIQUE DRIVEN Blog dedicated to mastery of surface design techniques. First we dye, overdye, paint, stitch, resist, tie, fold, silk screen, stamp, thermofax, batik, bejewel, stretch, shrink, sprinkle, Smooch, fuse, slice, dice, AND then we set it on fire using a variety of heat tools.

Monday, November 7, 2011

First finish...

Happy Monday!


This is something I made with my first set of transfers...






I began by using this mottled yellowy brown background - which I created by first covering my paper with orange transfer paint,  then adding stripes of yellow disperse dye over that, and over it all, droplets of brown dispere dye.  I then smooshed all the colours together by making a pouncing motion with the flat of my hand.  Once it was dry, I ironed it to my fabric. (To get a more intense colouring, I would have had to iron longer - but I wanted this mild version.)


Next, I used this orange/yellow combo (as above) and ironed sections of  it over the mottled mustardy-yellow background.


This paper (now dry) is a combination of greens.  The same disperse dye green, "au naturel" on the left,  mixed with a little black on the right and a little blue on the blackish looking streak/drips on top.  (All the mixing was done while wet.)  I have to say, this particular paper is my favourite - it produces a nice yellow green, a brilliant blue-green and a leaf green - all in the same paper! I think I've used it on every single piece of fabric I've produced for the Fire tutorials (and that's about 30 pieces of fabric - so far! - which goes to show how many times you can re-use these papers.)
I got a fern from the garden and used it as a resist before laying different sections of the green paper above all over it. ( By the way -  when ironing - I've been using a padded surface, a piece of craft paper, my fabric, the transfer dye paper, and then tracing paper over that to protect the iron - and the iron has to be dry, hot and constantly moving with good pressure to get good results.)



After quilting, I added some pastel dye sticks, watercolour dye crayons and a gold leaf pen to enhance, and then decided to add some beads -  for a little sparkle.

Stay tuned - more ferns using different colourations and layers to come - some "prints", and some really lovely (even if I do say so myself!) abstract colour cloths to come in the next weeks.

If you're working along with us, please post your links in the comments!

Kit

7 comments:

  1. Wonderful effect.......Fabulous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this Kit. You really went WILD then set it on FIRE.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kit,
    Congratulations on a stunning piece !
    If you would like more information on my MultiSperse Dye Sublimation (MSDS) technique using multiple colour plates and resists employing disperse dyes please see my blog for information http://artquill.blogspot.com - Blog Archive September 3, 2011.
    Quilting Arts magazine has published my MSDS technique, colour mixing guide etc in the August/September issue.
    Looking forward to seeing more of your disperse dye pieces.

    Marie-Therese Wisniowski

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marie-Therese, thanks for dropping by and leaving some great information for us. I'll definitely have a look at it later in the week - and I'm sure our readers will too!

    Cheers,

    ReplyDelete

Although this blog is no longer active, we will get your comments so please feel free to share them.